Creating ISO images with Nero 5.5 Express

Mark Michaelis' Weblog - August, 2003: "Creating ISO images with Nero 5.5 Express

I recently set up an old computer for my son, Benjamin, as he keeps messing up my wifes desktop and then I have to figure out how to get it back to the way she wants it. Anyway, as part of doing this I didn't want my son putting CDs in and out of the computer as he tends to scratch them. Instead, I decided to create ISO images of them and have him use them directly from the computer using Daemon-Tools. The problem, was how to create ISO images? I had a copy of Nero Express 5.5 but it took me some time to figure out exactly how to get it to make ISO images. (If you happen to have the full version of Nero you can find instructions for creating ISO images here.)

Here are the steps for Nero Express 5.5:

1. Launch Nero Express 5.5 (yes there is a 6 version out there but I don't have it.)
2. Select the Copy Entire Disk option.
3. Click the More>> button.
4. Click the Configure option
5. Select the Expert Features tab.
6. Check the 'Enable Image Recorder for all supported recorder formats' option.
7. Push the OK button to close the dialog.
8. Push the Save Track to HD button.
9. After selecting the CD drive (assuming you have more than one or Daemon-Tools is running) change the output file format to Nero ISO Compilation (*.iso)
10. Use the ellipses (...) to select a path and file name and push the Go button.
11. Check the location for you new ISO file.

Since I couldn't find this option at first I did some digging on the Internet for finding other methods of creating image files. Perhaps one of the most promising programs is Alcohol 120% from Alcohol Soft. The company also makes Alcohol 52%, which is CD/DVD emulation software similar to Daemon-Tools except it appears to also support CUE and BIN formats (these were new formats to me).

I am curious as to the name of this company but I assume given the prominence of this compan"

No comments:

Ramadan - What is it?

  Ramadan is one of the most important and holy months in the Islamic calendar. It is a time of fasting, prayer, and spiritual reflection fo...